To better serve the community during the Covid-19 pandemic, the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library (JKPL) continues to provide free Wi-Fi and access to virtual learning resources to the Saipan, Tinian, and Rota community. The JKPL provides outstanding virtual learning resources and free Wi-Fi access so you can read and download everything you want. You can access our databases by visiting the JKPL’s website at www.cnmilib.org and clicking on the icons from the main page. A Joeten-Kiyu Public Library card, Tinian Public Library card, or Antonio C. Atalig Memorial Public Library (Rota) card is required to access Wi-Fi and our databases. Library cards are free for the public, please call the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library at (670) 235-7322/7323 to learn how you can sign up for a free library card today! For families on Rota and Tinian who would like to sign up for a free library card, please contact your respective public library—Tinian Public Library at 433-0504 or Antonio C. Atalig Memorial Library (Rota) at 532-7329.
Our free Wi-Fi Access Point is available for the public at the JKPL parking lot during library hours of operation. Password for access to free Wi-Fi will be issued 1-per vehicle. This service connects your laptop or other wireless-enabled device to the Internet through the Library’s network.
You can check out the following virtual learning resources: Baker & Taylor Axis 360, Ebscohost, Gale Cengage, First Books Open e-books, online card catalog, Niche Academy, and Grow with Google:
- Baker & Taylor Axis 360: Baker & Taylor offers the most extensive selection of products and services for public libraries, and is the only vendor that can truly offer a one-stop shopping experience for all formats, including print, movies and music, and digital downloadable eBooks and eAudio content.
- Ebscohost: EBSCOhost is an intuitive online research platform used by thousands of institutions and millions of users worldwide. With quality databases and search features, EBSCOhost helps researchers of all kinds find the information they need fast. The Joeten-Kiyu Public Library the following EBSCOhost databases for Saipan, Tinian, and Rota: Explora (Elementary School Databases), Explora (Middle and High School Databases), Consumer Health Complete, Novelist, Novelist K-8, and the Small Business Reference Center.
- About EBSCO Information Services: EBSCO Information Services (EBSCO) is the leading discovery service provider for libraries worldwide with more than 11,000 discovery customers in over 100 countries. EBSCO is also the preeminent provider of online research content for libraries, including hundreds of research databases, historical archives, point-of-care medical reference, and corporate learning tools serving millions of end users at tens of thousands of institutions. EBSCO is the leading provider of electronic journals and books for libraries, with subscription management for more than 360,000 serials, including more than 57,000 e-journals, as well as online access to more than 1,000,000 e-books.
- Gale Cengage: The Joeten-Kiyu Public Library is excited to announce free public access to GALE, which is one of the nation’s leading research databases, for the entire CNMI community. The Joeten-Kiyu Public Library provides the following Gale databases for Saipan, Tinian, and Rota: Gale General OneFile, Gale Business: Plan Builder, Gale Business: Entrepreneurship, Gale Health and Wellness, Gale Literature Resource Center, Gale Books and Authors, Gale Interactive: Science, National Geographic Magazine from 1888-Current, National Geographic: People, Animals and the World, National Geographic Kids, Gale In Context: Biography, Gale In Context: Environmental Studies, Gale In Context: Global Issues, Gale In Context: Opposing Viewpoints, Gale In Context: Science, and Gale In Context: World History.
- First Book Open E-Books: Open eBooks is a library containing thousands of popular and award-winning titles that are free for children from in-need communities. These eBooks can be read without checkouts or holds. The goal of Open eBooks is to encourage a love of reading and serve as a gateway to children reading even more often, whether in school, at libraries, or through other eBook reading apps. Contact the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library for you pin#, and then goto www.openebooks.net.
- www.cnmilib.org online catalog: provides access to JKPL books and place holds. It also shows status of books available at the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library. You can place your library items on hold, provided you have a valid library card number.
- Niche Academy: An amazing virtual resource is Joeten-Kiyu Public Library Academy through Niche Academy. Visit https://my.nicheacademy.com/cnmilib and you will see online tutorials that teach you how to use library e-resources like e-books, research databases, and language learning tools.
- JKPL is a Grow with Google partner. As a Grow with Google partner, we help create economic opportunities for everyone. Grow with Google Partner Program offers free resources for your organization to teach people the digital skills that will grow their careers and businesses. We bring free digital skills classes to our community to empower them to learn and grow. Applied Digital Skills. Applied Digital Skills is designed to help learners develop digital skills for the evolving workforce through free video-based curriculum. Learners watch videos that teach digital skills in the context of creating a project, such as Start a Resume, Edit Your Resume, Prepare for Your Business Plan, and more. Learners can watch videos at their own pace and complete their projects independently, or library staff can answer questions and give individualized support based on each learner’s needs. https://grow.google/partners/ Moreover, the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library, as a member of the American Library Association and the Public Library Association through www.digitallearn.org is an online learning platform from PLA that provides short lessons to help learners tackle technology at their own pace.
Effective October 5, 2020, the JKPL’s revised hours of operation by appointment only is Wednesday and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.; Friday from 1:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; and Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; closed Sundays, Austerity Mondays, Tuesdays, and holidays. Stay safe, CNMI! Wear a mask, Wash your hands, and Watch your distance! Biba, Joeten-Kiyu Public Library! #MarianasSTRONG.
Contact your friendly Joeten-Kiyu Public Library at (670) 235-7315/7322/7323(READ) for more information. For the latest news and events, please visit the Joeten-Kiyu Public Library’s website at www.cnmilib.org and like and/or follow JKPL’s Facebook page @joetenkiyupubliclibrary and Instagram @joetenkiyupubliclibrary. This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services IMLS Grant # LSTA LS-00-19-0052-19, IMLS Grant # LSTA LS-01-19-0058-19, IMLS Grant# LSTA LS-246158-OLS-20, and IMLS Grant# LSTA LS-246573-OLS-20.
This project was also made possible by support from the Northern Marianas Humanities Council, a non-profit private corporation with funding from the National Endowment for Humanities (NEH) and the federal CARES Act. Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this grant opportunity do not necessarily represent those of the National Endowment for the Humanities.